Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Resting in the park

Sometimes it is nice not to have to cook on Sundays but instead to pack up a picnic basket and go to the park for a light lunch and enjoy the surroundings. The Bible talks a lot about nature and how it stands as a witness or testimony of God and his care for his creation.

It is amazing that you can forget about all of this in the business of life. Sometimes it is good to sit with family and to be able to speak about the handiwork of our heavenly Father. This is what we did Sunday. Here Anna shades her head from the sun. She loves to wear hats.
Because she thinks that eating is only for fat people, Anna instead dragged the picnic bag around while Paige, Lydia, and I ate. Owen was sleeping like a good boy. (Or as Anna says "goo-boo".)
Here is a view of downtown Grand Rapids from the river. Riverside park is about five minutes from downtown and is a very beautiful place to go for reflection and recreation. This is a favorite spot for my parents to picnic when they come to visit.
Here Paige is enjoying a brownie while Lydia holds little O-O. Notice the egg carton. It is Eshelman tradition to bring hard boiled eggs on outdoor eating events. (That is what we call picnics....eating events....wow.)

Here is another view of the river as well as our picnic location. Anna and I walked along the river while the ladies and O-O discussed the intricate details of Sabbath observance. It was a lovely afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to run and walk at that park when I wasn't so fat. Now I go there for a brisk sit. Next time maybe I'll bring a delicious snack; starbucks and panera:) ~Tito

Anonymous said...

Nate, thanks for posting such lovely pictures of me, and the comments are often so sweet as well. (read the sarcasm) Seriously though, it's great to be an unpaid nanny to the Eshelman family whom I love very much. -Paige