Sunday, November 05, 2006

Another political post. Sorry.

Stop racism in the state of Michigan.
Make sure to vote YES on proposal 2!


What is Proposal 2?

Proposal 2 is also known as the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative (MCRI), and will be on the Michigan ballot on November 7, 2006. Proposal 2 would amend the state constitution to “prohibit state and local government from discriminating against or granting preferential treatment to any individual or group based on race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin in the areas of public employment, public contracting and public education.”

More information here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not living in Michigan (or, indeed, in the US), I don't understand this proposal, but I'm interested.

Why is it being put forward now? Is there any exisiting anti-discrimination legislation?

It seems to be the sort of proposal that sounds so good it makes me suspicious...

Of course, the first thing that strikes me is that "sexual orientation" is missing. (Thank God!) Has that been discussed?

Penumbra said...

john,
This proposal would make it unlawful for Michigan to give preferential treatment in its hiring and, I think, school admissions. This would overturn any affirmative action type quotas in hiring and admissions. Michigan would be required to NOT show favoritism of one group over another.

Anonymous said...

Aaaah! That's what it is. I knew there was a catch.

Anonymous said...

Woot, racism is now illegal. It's too bad proposal three didn't pass, but hey - four out of five ain't bad.