Sunday, August 28, 2005

Family Traditions

Many families have traditions that are imperative to keep. They have traditions that they like, some that they hate, and some that they have no idea why they do them other than pleasing the matriarch of the family. Here are a few that many families have, but with little idea as to why:
Why do parents tell their kids about Santa Claus and where did this come from?
Why do families hide Easter eggs and force preschoolers to search for them?
Why do you HAVE to eat pork and sauerkraut on New Year's day?
There are many others, but I would like to talk about a family tradition that Lydia and I have begun for our family.

In the Reformed and Presbyterian churches infants have been baptized in gowns (dresses) for hundreds of years. These gowns are usually family heirlooms that are passed down from one generation to the next. We being a first generation Reformed family have no such gown. Owen was baptized in our gown that is part of our new family tradition that we hope will passed down to our grand-children and their grand-children as well.

The baptism gown that we have was made out of Lydia's wedding dress. Linda Lanning took her gown and used most of the train and the dress and removed the trim and the sleeves and used these on the gown. Both Owen and Anna have been baptized in this and, as I said, we hope that it is passed down.
Here is Reverend Lanning holding Owen. Owen cried when the water was sprinkled upon his head. It is always a great sight to behold the church growing in the normal covenantal way...Through the birth of children.
Here is Lydia, Owen, William Bonner, and his mother Heidi. The gown that William was baptized in was his great-great-grandfather's. It is well over 100 years old and was first used in the Netherlands in the Netherland Reformed Church. (They are obviously not first generation Reformed as we are!)
Here is our family with Reverend Lanning. I remember that when Anna was baptized she looked up at Reverned Lanning and smiled a huge smile.
Here is a close-up of the dress. Notice the detail.
Here is a picture of the whole thing. It is very long..About four feet in length. We are grateful that we have begun this tradition but we are more grateful for the tradition of baptism and the meaning that it holds for the church.

12 comments:

Janna said...

Pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day? I've never heard that one. Is it a German thing?

It was so wonderful to (finally) see Owen baptized yesterday. You guys are such a great family!

Anonymous said...

Question: If we're such great traditional Presbyterians why did we use the dutch form for baptism as opposed to the Westminster?

NPE said...

The Westminster does not have a complete form as the Psalter but it follows the same outline.

Great traditional Presbyterians recognize these forms...we have them as "substandards"

Anonymous said...

I've always told my mom that I wanted to use my wedding dress for my childrens christening gown so of course I love your idea (I thought it was common but Nate did not agree with this). It is a beautiful gown. ~Tito

Anonymous said...

Nate said that his grandma HAS to have pork and sauerkraut on New Year's day....she is Swedish. I think the Germans probably need to stay away from food that day...

Thanks for coming to the baptism Janna (and MJ and Paige and Floods....)

And thanks Tito. :)

tanyawells said...

I have a blog too!

shawn said...

Question: If we're such great traditional Presbyterians why did we use the dutch form for baptism as opposed to the Westminster?

Excellent Question! What's up with that?

Janna said...

Haha, Lydia... I think EVERYONE should stay away from pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. Or at least, everyone should stay away from the Swedish on New Year's Day...

Manda said...

We didn't have a baptismal gown for Joshy but Josh's mom made one for Emmy. It has appliques from my gown and tiny little pearls from Lonna's wedding dress. She also made used some of the ribbon from her bouquet.

tammy said...

hey nate or lyd, i made a dress for anna, (dresses are for girls owen) its a summer apron dress, summer is almost gone and i want to get it out to you asap, i just wanted to know if she owns a pair of white bloomers that she could wear with, otherwise there isnt much point in sending. I'm working on making bloomers as well, but am waiting till i get my serger to proceed.

Anonymous said...

You smell like cabbage.

Anonymous said...

carnies are nomads you know. They have small hands that do indeed smell like cabbage.