Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Nate starts his 9th year of college

Classes started today at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary. I was glad to back and am looking forward to another full semester towards the title of Master of Divinity.

This semester I have the following classes:

1. Exegesis of the Gospels. In this class we read the gospels in the original Greek. We translate them into English, discuss alternate translations, and talk about the meaning of the text.

2. Archaeology. Here we go over the various discoveries that archaeology has unearthed that is related to the biblical narrative. We also talk about manners and customs that were prevalent in biblical times. In this class I have to give a presentation that deals with literacy in the ancient world. (I have to give it on Anna's birthday).

3. Homeletics. Here we will discuss the ways in which you preach/teach at special services. We will discuss weddings and funerals and other joyful/not so joyful events.

4. The Christian Minister & Ministry. In this class we will discuss the various ways that a minister is to conduct himself at home and in ministry. I am sure that we will talk about the importance of family worship, seeking counsel and accountability and other things. (Maybe they will get my big rear end in a suit after this class....naah!)

Not all of the men that attend the seminary want to be ministers that have churches. There are those who want to do missions, chaplaincy, teach, counsel, and other things as well. So the classes such as the last two will also have sessions that deal with these career paths as well.

I hope that the semester goes well. Keep me in your prayers as well as Lydia who becomes a "grad school widow" for the next couple of months again. Also if anyone wants to help pay for my education they may. Send the checks to:

Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary
c/o Nathan Eshelman's tuition bill
2695 Leonard Street NE,
Grand Rapids, MI 49525 USA

You can also pay by credit card by calling them at:
p:616-977-0599

I look forward to being back in school and I look forward to adding one more semester to my nine years of post-highschool education. The life of the forever student is never done!

3 comments:

Mark said...

Good luck (or rather, providental blessings) on your semester, Nate.

Mrs. P said...

Congrats on the 9th year! Next year we should have an anniversary bash before you start... an entire decade of college is something to celebrate!

Also, sorry we no-showed last night. It was mom and Evie's last night this side of the Atlantic so we said goodbye to them instead.

Love to all the Eshelman's!

Anonymous said...

God's speed kid.