Sunday, December 11, 2005

Reading For Life

Parents should always take the time to read to their children. Reading to your children is the cornerstone of a life time of learning. Even if it is just for five minutes talking about the pictures on the page, this time spent can be a seeding of a passion for learning.
Support your local book dealer.

5 comments:

tanyawells said...

Good post Nate. Way to advocate learning through reading, I like that about you.

I was in a interview once and the question was "what is one of the most important things you can do with a child to help them learn?" So I said, "read to them (or have them read to you depending on the age of the child) and discuss what you have read."

I got the answer wrong according to them because they wanted me to answer "play", which is important also. Children learn so much through reading too though! And there are tons of great childrens books to read out there!

It hurt my fragile little ego to get that interview question wrong ya know?!

Anonymous said...

I can still remember my parents reading to me- all my favorite stories involved bad rabbits, sabbath breaking squirrels, and very naughty children who always were caught red handed, and who always got their just desserts.

Anonymous said...

Yuk. Who is that smugly narrator

gretchenjohnson said...

Great picture!

Wife, Mom, Teacher said...

Moes, Nathan-my-husband-not-the-blogger said that those stories are typical dutch books. I just got one out of the library and he heard me reading to Twiggy and told me that dutch kid's books are all like that. Funny.