Thursday, December 22, 2005

Toddlerhood is no longer

Lydia and I receive an email about every month from a group that tells where your baby should be developmentally. When she was pregnant with Anna, Lydia signed up for this, and it walked us through the pregnancy telling us exactly what is going to be happening in that week (it is VERY amazing how accurate this can be).
After the delivery the emails kept coming... subject line: your baby is three weeks old! and then we would see: subject line: your baby is four months, second week old! Then came the scary ones...Anna was no longer a baby to the developmentalists, but a toddler. They continued to write on about the things that went on while Anna developed, right down to the number of words that should be in her lexicon. It remained amazing.
Now we get these emails about Anna, as well as Owen, so that we have a refresher as to where our bundle of boy is to be, as well as our little precious girl.

Today we got the shock of our lives....I feel as though I am aging by the minute.

Subject line: Your preschooler is 25 months old!

Preschooler. Wow! This is going way too quickly; can someone help us to adjust?

17 comments:

Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

Hey Nate have you gotten "Relax daddy, I'm just kiddin'" or "just read to you so I can read to me" or "daddy, you just don't understand me", how about "I jsut don't want to talk about my feelings anymore" and all of this from my three year old. I'm sur eI have forgotten many great one liners but they grow up way too fast.

Wife, Mom, Teacher said...

Nate, this doesn't apply to you so you don't have to feel shocked. This is just the liberal world's way of preparing you to send your precious little girl into their clutches soon. If you start thinking of her as a preschooler now, then you won't have a problem sending her off in a year. (Yes, some people actually send their kids to preschool at age THREE!!)

Mrs. P said...

Yikes! Hey, what website did you sign up at?

tanyawells said...

She is and always will be your baby girl no matter how old she gets!

Anonymous said...

IT ONLY GETS WORSE!!!! Lydias' point is corrrect, the time line is from the secular world. The secular world can be a tool of satan to grasp aspects of these little ones'from Gods hands. ( Consider all the little ones sexually assaulted in day cares aroung the country!!!)
THE ONLY SOLUTION!!! To recognize that our children belong to God first and to us second. That they are indeed the best gift God gives us, second only to salvation.That you will be their parents as long as you live and your job in unending.The older you get the faster time will pass. Enjoy every second with these sweet ones!! Thanking God and praising Him for the sacrifice of his Son Jesus Christ.God, You are awesume and we humbly thank you for the gift of our children and the gift of Your Son.

Anonymous said...

Cute PINK sweater and hat. What a beautiful little girl!

Anonymous said...

I thought developmentally a person is a toddler until age 3. There is nothing wrong with sending a 3 year old to preschool 2-3 a week? It's good practice for when they go off to kindergarten. They can't be arould mommy and daddy forever.

Anonymous said...

I went to preschool when I was three because I was so smartable. A lot of kids start preschool at three.

NPE said...

what the wife, mom, and teacher (who is a dear friend) is saying is that "we" do not send our children to school....they are preschooled at home as well as highschooled at home.

NPE said...

WMT is not Lydia either...check out her blog it is fun.

(It can be linked by clicking her name or by my list on PT)

gretchenjohnson said...

Yeah for no preschool. I didn't go and look how I turned out. Hee hee.

Eva Lemmon..? said...

I think the age limit should depend on the child. I would have no trouble sending my kids off to an old fasioned teacher. She would mostlikely instill good life lessons etc. (I'm talking about the kind of schools you had When your grandma's grandma was in school.)

Janna said...

Little Anna is growing up faster than I realized! Next thing you know they'll be sending you emails telling you that she should be applying to college! ;-)

She's a cutie!

Anonymous said...

And Mom said it was just yesterday that you were a preschooler and look at you now, 28 and still in school! That's my boy!

Mrs. P said...

The family has plans for something of a co-op on the education of Pickering Infants. Aunty Loretta shall provide piano lessons, Grandpop will supervise their classical and artistic development (his decision, not ours), Aunty Janna will teach culinary skills, and Aunt Evie shall instruct them in "Alternative Studies", ranging from Kung Fu to astronomy. Uncle James is a living object lesson, and besides that will teach military history. Mr. Pickering will handle maths and sciences, and I shall take over the remainder. Chamberlain Academy lives, eh Janna?

Anonymous said...

Home schooling is the most ridculous thing I ever heard of. Homeschooled kids are either rebels or self righteous brats out of touch with reality. Public school is the way to go

Janna said...

Hahahaha! That last comment sounds like something a homeschooler would say...