Monday, April 03, 2006

Dimwhit and the dimmer-switch

At my work we have a room where patients have to sleep sometimes called a Think Tank. This room is the classic "padded room" minus the padded walls and other cliche' associations with psychiatric care.

This evening a patient was required to sleep in this room for reasons of his or her own safety. This room is not a very comfortable place to sleep; it has a large Styrofoam mat that is on the floor and there is a half moon mirror so that the staff can see the patient at all times. There is also a very bright, obnoxious light that glares down into the face of the one that is trying to sleep.

In my Christian compassion I found it necessary to turn down the lights for him or her so that he or she could sleep a little better. The dimmer switch (that is the same as the one to the left) was not dimming. Some of these industrial switches require that you place a paperclip or other such item into them for the purpose of dimming the light. I attempted this with my restraint key.

For this compassion I received a shock that ran down my arm, knocked my backwards, and caused my tongue to go numb for a moment. I was totally embarrassed as well as 'shocked' that this had occurred. This, my friends and faithful readers, was not one of the such afore mentioned dimmer switches.

The joys of psychiatric care.

9 comments:

tanyawells said...

Nice work. I'm so glad you didn't die buddy. Hope your tongue feels better.

shawn said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Mark said...

Oooh... ouch. Funny as allgetout, though.

Anonymous said...

It's called ECT. Normally given under anesthetic by a psychiatrist an electric charge is prescribed and administered. Electro-convulsive-therapy.
However, Orion Construction has their own ideas about how projects are handled.They have their own "think tank" and clearly numerous wires were crossed to create your outcome.Fortunately you did not have a seizure, or I'm sure you would have been billed for the service.

gretchenjohnson said...

wow. I wish I was working for that. I bet it compares to the time you flipped head first over the kid riding in the wheelchair.

Mrs. P said...

It's your latent death-wish flaring up again Nate. Maybe you could use some quality time in the think tank.

Wife, Mom, Teacher said...

Yeah, I'll try to remember not to stick ANYTHING metal into ANYTHING electric. Isn't that why we put those covers on our outlets when we have toddlers? Uh huh.

Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

Nate,

THis is why is wish I was still at the PR.

Gretchen,
You stole my thunder, that was the first thing to come to mind. I don't think that I have ever laughed that hard.

Isn't that a job for a per deim staff and not a lead PCP anyway? Maybe I'm glad that I'm not there afterall?

Eva Lemmon..? said...

Hahahaha! Paper clips are insulated, silly!