Monday, July 24, 2006

How Much Time Do You Give?

Most families have a dad who spends about 8-10 hours a day at work and a mother that does the same. In this recent study we see that when both parents are working outside of the home , the children recieve 19 minutes per day of undivided attention!

Is that enough attention to raise children? We spend more time in front of the mirror.

9 comments:

Penumbra said...

Make sure spend some time teaching Anna the proper "i" "e" combinations. Like, "i" before "e" except after "c".

NPE said...

Man, that hurts. I will not change it though....my pride wants me to edit...but you got me!

Anonymous said...

some women have to work they have no option. It's her and her husband's decision. Many factors go into this decision and it's their own personal choice. The other extreme of a school aged child being home schooled and sheltered from other is just as wrong. Children end up being either self righteous brats who can not socialize with the rest of the world or the rebel.

Anonymous said...

See, Nate, should have let me edit first. There are also exceptions to that rule, of course.

Working mom: Your statement is a very uneducated one. You are making a lot of presumptions regarding homeschooled children.

Of course it is the mother's and father's personal choice regarding staying home. It does not mean it is the best one for the children. The statement, "some women have to work they have no option" is the typical response given by working mothers. Sacrifices have to be made in order for the mother to stay at home, and it can be done. At least the mom should try to stay home until the children go the kindergarten. If the decision is to send the child to school, then sure, the mom can go work.

Nothing gets accomplished by making mean comments and stereotyping a group of people. In my encounters, I have found the "self-righteous homeschooled brats/rebellious children" to be rather educated, caring, godly, and unsheltered. They tend to be very social and interact well with others. If you mean they are sheltered from the disgusting education found in public schools, then let's rejoice in that!

Of course, there are the homeschooled weirdos out there. No doubt.

But, I suggest you educate yourself in this area before throwing out these statements.

Anonymous said...

W/M...

If anyone had good reasons for working outside the home it was me. My husband is a masters level student who has to work a low-paying job to allow him time for his studies.

With my income, we lived quite comfortably with two cars, spending money, and other niceties.

Furthermore, I have family in the area who would have helped out by babysitting for us.

There is ALWAYS an option. For us it meant selling a car, living in a one bedroon apartment, and restricting our spending. It meant sacraficing and doing our best to live within our means.

I was homeschooled. I will homeschool my children.

I hope that by God's grace I avoid self-righteousness, but if by self-righteousness you mean having standards and not being afraid to live up to or defend them, I plead guilty as charged, and I hope my children will also.

As to being sheltered... thank God! I had a very active social life. When the school kids were being negatively socialized, learning only to interact with people of their own age, we were finished with our work for the day and out and about socializing with our many homeschooled friends, working part time jobs or doing volunteer work, and learning how to interact with people of all ages.

I never felt the need to 'rebel'. I never did. My siblings never did. My friends never did. We all went to college, did extremely well, and got jobs. We are happy, healthy, well adjusted adults.

Don't stereotype... didn't they teach you that in school?

Anonymous said...

Narrow minded I must say. I am sure you have had women in your life who worked outside of the home out of desire or necessity. Was there ever a favorite teacher of yours whom you are still thankful for today. Everyone is not as fortunate economically or through family. Sterotyping has never been accepted by you. WHY NOW? Why will we wish an education for our daughters?

Mrs. P said...

I had a wonderful teacher, one whom I will always be thankful for, and without whom I would not be who I am today... her name was Mom.

NPE said...

Anon

If it is directed towards me, I do not think that I am sterotyping. I am just giving interesting information that has come out in a recent study.

I am sure that all families have some guilt about how much time they spend away from family for whatever reason. I guess that we all have to do some soul searching to see what areas we find important or less important.

I think that what working mom said about having to make a decision that works best for your family is correct. As Christians, I think that what Lydia and I do is right for us before God and each other. As for other families..I do not stand in judgment- that is between you, your conscience, and your God.

I enjoy the discussion! Any more thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Nathan-

You failed to respond to anon regarding why educate your daughters. I want you to respond, as you have thoroughly thought this out and have explained it to people many times.....so, anticipating your reply.

And, I think that mature adults should be able to sign their names unless it is obvious who is leaving the comment (i.e., stay-at-home-mom and very poor domestic engineer).
:)

I