Monday, August 28, 2006

Book Nerds!

I just purchased most of my books for this semester. (95%). My total cost was $659.70. This price is high, but it is not as outrageous as undergraduate book prices. Each book that I purchased today will be added to my pastoral library which will prove to be one of my greatest resources after ordination.

When I was doing my undergraduate studies I had a math class that I dropped within the first 2 weeks of class. When I took the $90 book back to the bookstore they informed me that they would not be using this text next year and they refused to buy it back. I left it on the counter with the attendant and left. There is no time in my life ever that I would need this book. The price that one pays for undergraduate books is out of control!

Lydia had a Human Anatomy book that she used in one of her undergraduate courses. She sold it on eBay for about $70 to recover some of the cost. We did not insure this item and it got lost. Not only did we lose the book, we had to pay that girl her $70 back. Double whammy.

I still at am ease about the cost of my books today. Building a good theological library is quite important to me. It is a catalyst for the reading of sound theological literature. $670...Wow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You obviously never took that math class, as you tend to fail miserably in the attempt to "round up" numbers.

:)

Mark said...

Man, even when you buy 'em on Half.com, it still stings. I feel your pain, bro.

Anonymous said...

Ha, he feels no pain. He has been greatly blessed via contract with a certain place. :0)

Mark said...

Do they pay for his books, too? That is a good deal, although I no longer feel sorry for Nate. Envious, perhaps - $670 of free/reduced price books ain't a bad deal.