Friday, January 05, 2007

Car Seats Are for Babies

Consumer Reports claims that many of the infant car seats that they reviewed 'failed miserably' when tested at speeds of 35 miles per hour.

I am not opposed to car seats, per se, but I hate being told that I have to wear a seat belt and that my children have to be in car seats.

Should these be laws, or should this be up to the discretion of the parents? Why should 'Big Brother' tell us how to buckle our children? Remember the days when babies rode on mama's lap in the front seat? I am sure that it is just as safe.

8 comments:

Charles Jurries said...

I heard a story, from one neighbor about another, this lady who, decades ago, lost a child in a car accident. She was carrying her child on her lap and got hit. Wearing no seat belt, and having no car seat, the impact of the crash led to the death of the kid.

I always think of that story when someone talks about the "good old days" of no seat belts and riding on each other's laps.

Anonymous said...

In some states, 1 being Michigan, law states that babies do not have to be in their seats if eating. ;)

steveandjanna said...

We don't need a law declaring that children must be in a car seat. But if a child dies because it wasn't in one than the state should be free to charge the parents with negligent homicide.

NPE said...

I also think that the state could hold a person responsible for their poor choices, but that is what freedom is about, right?

We do not need a million laws to be the babysitter to the masses.

Anonymous said...

For the record, even if the law did not force us to us car seats, we would. :0)

In discussion this morning with Nathan, and not much thought thereafter, I would have to say that the laws made are good and necessary to protect us, our children, all people that abide by them. I, of course, do not agree with all the laws, but as long as they do not go against the Scriptures, then we must obey them.

What needs to be done is a "punishment" change when the law is broken. The death penalty should be used more, etc. People are not threatened by a little time in jail. If they were to get more severe charges, then maybe they would think twice before doing it...or doing it again.

Anonymous said...

Just put your baby on your lap while you drive, like me. I'm country

Wife, Mom, Teacher said...

I agree that we should not be told by the government to keep ourselves safe. That seems like common sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Consumer Reports has retracted this article... see http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16691288/