Thursday, August 02, 2007

Compu-update


I am not officially supposed to be blogging, because my computer is not fixed.

Here is an update:

  • My HP vz6000 is officially in need of a new hard drive. This is quite sad because I use antivirus as well as ad and spy ware software.
  • My friend, Mark Jurries said that he will put a new one in for me once I order it. I found one on Newegg for under $60. I am very happy that she can be saved.
  • Adam Vedra, my oldest Grand Rapids buddy, was able to put the HP on life support long enough to extract all of the data that I had stored on it. I was very glad that he was able to do this (he is a Calvin College IT genius). One reason that I was so depressed this week about my computer is that my entire seminary experience is saved on it. I did not have any external hard drive on which I was backing up my material. Basically, Adam saved me from a bout with clinical depression.
  • For now I am using Lydia's Sony Vaio laptop. It is really nice and I appreciate the fact that she allowed me to download all of my programs on it until my HP is raised from the dead.
Lessons learned:
  • Back up your files. It can happen to you.
  • Do not rely too heavily on these machines for writing. I have hard copies of all of the books that I use on Bible software. Do not be too dependent on the quick and easy ways to search.
  • Thank the Lord that there are friends with diverse gifts. I talked with some guy in India for 2 hours and he told me NOTHING that Adam and Mark did not already say.
  • Blogging is too fun to give up.

8 comments:

Mark said...

So glad Adam was able to save your files - that guy's some kind of smart.

Nate's entirely right - all y'all should be backing up your files. Burning them to a CD works, or you can get an external hard drive on the cheap. Circuit City has some great deals on their website right now. All quality Western Digital stuff, too. It's trivial to set up automatic backups, and well worth the while.

Anonymous said...

That I "allowed you." Hahaha. Like I care!

:)

NPE said...

Well,
I do not like your junk downloaded on my laptop...why should you want me junk on yours??

Anonymous said...

Well, in the eternal perspective of things.....

Anonymous said...

To love, honor and share each other's junk........

Anonymous said...

Mark, you've gone down in my estimation. All of the important household files in the Pele household are stored on a Compaq ML370 server with RAID 5 array and hot-spare backup. I backup this every month to a 80GB DLT which gets stored 20 feet away. I've thought about sending the latest backup with my dear wife to the in-laws in case our house catches fire or gets bombed or whatever. By the way, all this is available for cheap on eBay if you're willing to do the right searches.

Mark said...

Well, yeah, that's the super-geeky way to do it. But for most people, an external hard drive will do the trick with a lot less hassle. But major props for going all-out, I'm kinda jealous now.

Offsite storage is an excellent idea. I've heard nightmare stories of corporations who only backed up onsite and lost everything in a disaster, i.e. Katrina.

Anonymous said...

Hello children.
I demand photos! I haven't seen you all in ages!
(Pretty please :-D)
I miss you guys.