Monday, January 14, 2008

Mitt Romney For President?

Today we got an email asking us to consider Mitt Romney for president. One of the claims was that he believed in traditional marriage. Mr. Romney is a Mormon... he believes that God was married and that Jesus and Lucifer were his sons. They are historically polygamists. They believe that you can have many wives in heaven and that you will forever procreate to fill your own planet with spirit children.... traditional marriage, huh?

8 comments:

steveandjanna said...

We're voting for Romney today, not because we like him but because Huckabee and McCain are completely unacceptable. Huckabee is a liberal, which is ignored by the evangelicals because he says Jesus once in awhile. McCain is also a liberal, though he doesn't drop the name Jesus. Romney isn't anything special, I can't stand that he's a mormon but with no other acceptable choices I have to vote for him. Do note, Ron Paul isn't an acceptable choice. He's a total fraud, don't buy into any of his small government talk. He sends $50 billion a year in pork to his Texas Congressional district.

Mark said...

Um... wow. That's some video. Reminds me of a cartoon I saw about scientology... all that was missing was the caption that read "This is what Mormons actually believe". That bit where "Elohim" knocks on Mary's door? Creepy beyond words. And they didn't even bring up the holy underwear...

For the record, as I understand it there are bills that are going to spend a certain amount of money regardless. Paul decided that if it's going to be spent, he might as well have his district's tax dollars help his district some. I think his record matches his talk about fiscal responsibility.

steveandjanna said...

If you're going to oppose massive Federal spending than oppose massive Federal spending. But don't go into the back rooms of Congress and wheel and deal money for your district and still pretend like you're being fiscally responsible. Voting no on spending bills while wheeling and dealing for the district doesn't make you fiscally responsible, it makes you a fraud and a hypocrite.

Charles Jurries said...

"They are historically polygamists"

To be fair, Mormons are NOT polygamist, and haven't been for, I think, at least 120 years.(For political reasons and public outcry, sure. But that is also what caused the Roman Catholic church to change via the Reformation.)

It is still their reputation, but, they are not actually polygamist, practicing or otherwise. And polygamist are disciplined and/or expelled from the church, just like I am sure they would in a reformed setting.

(That is not to excuse any other criticisms. But, the polygamy thing is about 120 years out of date.)

Tim said...

I remember watching that same video in youth group about 15 years ago...it brings back some memories.

However, I like this explanation of Mormonism better:

The Story of Joseph Smith: in musical form parts 1, 2, and 3

(for the record, I voted for Edwards in the NH primary. love me, I'm a liberal!)

An Eshelman said...

Re: Polygamy

They still DO believe and practice polygamy. They believe that the faithful have multi-wives IN HEAVEN and that God (Elohim) has many wives in heaven.

This is polygamy. They did claim to have dropped the practice here because of laws when Utah tried to become a state. Mitt Romney's grand parents were 'forced' out of the US and into Mexico so that they could practice polygamy without the US interfering.

steveandjanna said...

The official Mormon church position is in opposition to polygamy, Chuck is right. There are various split offs from the Mormon church that still believe in polygamy and in fact practice it. But that is not the official Mormon position, at least that's not what their position is on the books. I think there's a clear distinction to be made between what occurs in Heaven and what occurs on Earth. On Earth, their position is in opposition to polygamy, who really cares what their view of Heaven is, after all they're going to be in the Lake of Fire.

karl said...

Nate, thanks for that post. I agree with you. How can a Christian vote for someone who believes that Jospeh Smith found gold tablets with a weird seeing glass thingie that enabled him to decipher the tablets. And then the angel Moron(i) took them away before anyone else could see it? Are you serious? And this is the man who will lead our country?

They only outlawed polygamy after the US said they wouldn't let Utah become a state. Then they reconsidered.

As for Mormons going to the lake of fire, we should be concerned about their destiny and want to reach out to them.