Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Peter Rabbit and Public Education

I have been studying in the basement for a lecture that I have to give on the literacy of Ancient Israel. I have learned that the ancients by the fifth century BC were almost unanimously literate. All children could read and write in Israel...500 years before Christ was born!
When we think of the ancients we think that, for the most part, they were unlearned and mostly tradesmen. We rarely ever think of them as being educated. More like cavemen. We are so arrogant in our assessments.

Lydia, at the same time, was reading with the children. She has been reading some of the "Original and Authorized Editions" of Beatrix Potter's works.
She read The Tale of the Flopsy's Bunnies as well as The Tale of Benjamin Bunny.
These books were first published in the early part of the 20th century. (1904). They were written for toddlers and early school aged children. Besides the great things such as tobacco use, skinning of other bunnies, and the marrying of cousins; these books put the American Public school system to shame.

Below you will find a list of the words that Anna and Owen came across while having these books narrated to them:
Soporific
Improvident
Profusely
Doleful

Here is where us Public school kids can be helped with the terms: (Or is it "we public school kids"?)
www.onelook.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember those books! Daddy brought us up on the authorized Beatrix Potter books as well. My favorite story was about Squirrel Nutkin, who gets punished for playing nine pins on the Sabbath, amongst other offences. I also loved the stories of Tom Thumb and Hunca Munca, and the Tailor of Gloucester.

Manda said...

Those are great books. I remember well the suspensefulness of them. Looks like Sedge was getting in on story time too. :)

Anonymous said...

why does Sedgwic always look doleful?

NPE said...

Sedgwick is doleful because his mother hates him and will not allow him to participate in the warmth of the blankets.

He was also abused before I adopted him.
He has been diagnosed with PTSD, RAD, and Major Depressive Disorder.

Anonymous said...

Really? I had no idea. That's quite sad; you should put him down.

Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

I whent to publik skools adn I learned good. What do those words mean? Am I doleful? If I am, can I get drugs for that?

Anonymous said...

Joe,have you been abusing toothpast again????