Thursday, April 06, 2006

Talkin' Turkey

Today I was doing some gardening along the driveway. I was carefully trimming one of my roses when I heard this huge swooshing noise above my head. I looked up and it was a turkey flying out of the old Oak of my neighbors! It flew across the street into the trees behind Saint Joseph's Seminary, but when I went to find it I no longer saw it.

Later in the afternoon I was talking with my other neighbor, Jim (who has lived here 30+ years), and he said that the Garfield Park Nature Preserve used to have a flock of about 30 that flew around from time to time. He was pretty amazed though, he hasn't heard of one being seen for years around the Alger Heights area.

4 comments:

Mrs. P said...

Waal Nate,
Git yer gun an get 'er dun! Tirkee dinner at the Eshelnecks tonite!

NPE said...

I will have to have Preston come to Grand Rapids to get it. I am sure that this is not my thing. (I would eat it though!)

gretchenjohnson said...

I was driving down Eastern to go to work, so almost to 68th st. when 8-10 turkeys flew across the street. I had to slam on the ole brakes because they don't fly very high. Should've just plowed through and maybe it would have totaled my car.

Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

I had five turkey in my yard last week. Leonard and Walker, five minutes from downtown. I also have fox in my yard which is fun.

Try chasing them with the kids, Noah enjoyed this activity, however the turkeys did not enjoy it.