Friday, September 01, 2006

It's Hot

I am not an electrician, and I do not pretend to be one; but my wife tells me that she smells smoke, I listen. Last night, after a very long day, at 1am, we were ready to crawl into bed and call it a night.
Lydia came up stairs from taking Sedgwick for his late night trip to the outside and tells me that she smells smoke in the bedroom.

Recall a late October night in my college days when I arrived home from Lydia's apartment to find a smokey mess in the kitchen. My house-mates and I preceded to the basement to find some flames shooting up a bathroom wall that could be seen from the ceiling boards. We called 911 and were homeless for a few months as the contractors repaired the damage.

Back to yesterday:

I told her that I did not smell it but a sense of fear and paranoia fills me at the thought of another house fire. I began to sniff around and to my surprise a lightswitch had an added feature. It seems that when you turned this switch on now, a really noncomforting crackling sound would precede from the wall as well as that horrid electrical fire smell that sends terror down my spine.

I took off the plate and looked for flames, which there were none. I then noticed that Owen had decided to join me in the hallway. (For the record here is Owen's complete lexicon- night-night, Anna, and dog.) Owen decided that he would add 'hot' to the lexicon as he pointed up to the lightswitch. Good Owen! Hot.

The long and 'short' is that I replaced the switch and all works fine again. I do need some training on the two-switch to one light though. It seems that you cannot control the switch from either place, only one at a time. I am sure that Gerald, my new electrician will give me some free advice!

Hot!

5 comments:

tanyawells said...

Gerald and Owen are so cool. Owen is sprikin so good now and Gerald is always helping people. What nice guys. Way to fix that "hot" region of your home.

Mrs. P said...

Always trust your wife's nose... my dad learned to do that in much the same way. Mom woke up smelling smoke at 3 AM one morning and sure enough- his VW Rabbit had exploded all over the attached garage. That was an amazing sight for my ten year old eyes- the firefighters trying to pull the flaming car out of the garage before it set the whole house on fire...

The smoke inhalation was neat too- black boogers for a week afterward!

Mark said...

Whoa... glad y'all caught that one on time. Very well-written account of the whole mess.

And I want a lightswitch like the one in that pic. That rocks.

Anonymous said...

Try replacing a 3-way dimmer! I'm glad you were spared serious injury and that no one was smoking as may be the case when the children are older.Did you blow a fuse? Also where are your fire extinguishers and are they fully charged?

Tim said...

remember when bram lit the kitchen on fire by cooking a grilled cheese sandwich on a cookie sheet on the oventop?