Thursday, September 08, 2005

Drywall days: day one

The drywall days have finally arrived. My father arrived on Union Avenue at about 22:30 on Wednesday evening. I left work early (thanks Charles, RN) and headed home with a pizza and a case of "thanks dad." We enjoyed some food and conversation before bed and discussed the long weekend ahead.

Dad thinks that he will be able to finish all of the drywall, from hanging until finish coat, by Saturday evening. The pictures are here...we will see.

This is actually one of the last things that we did in the evening. We hung drywall until about 19:30. We were whipped, but the evening ended well at the Outback Steakhouse! Sorry you missed it mom.
Anna was our little helper in the basement. She handed me the drywall screws and also fell about 20 times. She tripped over drywall, extension cords, tools, herself, and I think that at one point, she even tripped over her shadow! (She was a big help though... its important to raise industrious children.)
Here is Sedgwick scratching his ever sensitive skin. The dust may have been too much for the little guy. Looks like Benadryl and salami is on his menu for the evening. When Doug and dad began the work, Doug noticed a smell in the basement that was less than worthy of discussion on this site.

Dad slipped.

Looks as though Sedgwick still is not a Jim Eshelman fan. (Need I say more?)

Here is dad and Doug Sikma attempting to figure out whose drill is whose. They both have the same one and got a little confused. They worked it out though.
Here is Nate doing manual labor. For all of my faithful readers at Pine Rest...enjoy. Looks like nerds can do things like hang drywall too.
Here are the two basement rennovation engineers. They work well as a team. Maybe my parents will move here and open Sikma-Eshelman Construction and Restoration. Notice how much was accomplished at the mid-day point. Doug commented that Lydia demands perfection, so we had better do it right! Work makes free, right Lydia?
Here dad is sinking a screw into the wall. (It actually looks as though it is being sunk into his finger!)
Here is how we left it at the end of the day. We will have to see what tomorrow brings. Its 22:39 and I see that dad is sleeping...I hope that he can sleep past 6:00 today...that is too early for me.
I do appreciate having him here, though. I can also learn some things that I should have learned while I was being a selfish, bratty teen.

See you tomorrow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We totally know that you were just posing with that drill. Your dad is a little mini-Nate. Cute.

tanyawells said...

Nathan I thought manual labor was a thing of the past. I think you got some outback on your tight white! That is your punishment for not inviting me to outback!

Anonymous said...

How come the last picture looks like it should be at the start.....

That is all framing, no drywall.

Hope you boys enjoyed the a/c. It surely wasn't working upstairs!

And is it work brings freedom.....

Anonymous said...

I just see disaster written all over this. I just know someone is going to show up Sunday with a hole in their finger.

As for Sedgewick, you keep your mutt away from Seamus O'Notliberal. I don't want his bad attitude to tarnish my young pups mind. :)

Anonymous said...

C'mon Nate... we know that shot with the drill was staged...

Poser!