Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Gnothi Se Auton

The famous philosopher Socrates spoke of Apollo and the Oracle of Delphi. The oracle was said to be inscribed with the phrase "gnothi se auton" or in English, "Know thyself".

Now I do not commend heading down to the nearest pagan oracle to find out who you are, but I do think that it is wise to know your weaknesses and your struggles. You will not be able to fight off your sin without a battle plan.

I think that Anna has begun to know herself. She knows, from an early age, how her main struggle with sin will manifest. I hope that this self knowledge drives her to Christ as a young girl.

John Calvin said that there is no knowledge of God without knowledge of self; and there is no knowledge of self without knowledge of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We must be in prayer for our children because we know that satans goal is to snatch them up. Prayer for my children is a top priority and I believe it warms Gods heart to know we love them modeling his love to us!!!