Friday, March 03, 2006

Nomi

We have a new member to the family. We have decided that it is time for Anna to learn to care for a pet. Meet Nomi. The name is taken from the film Finding Nomi. (I am sure that none of you have seen it). Nomi is Japanese Koi. What does that mean? Basically a koi is a goldfish that cost $6.00 instead of $0.14. Koi are those giant goldfish that you see in ponds and they come to the top and gulp down bits of bread and cheeseburgers.

Nomi is loved by Anna very much already. She walks into the kitchen and yells, "Hi Nomi!" She also has to make sure that we know that he is swimming and that he is orange. Today she asked Lydia where Nomi was and Lyd told her that he was gone. Anna proceeded to cry about the loss and Lydia quickly turned it into a game of peek-a-boo, fish style.

An interesting thing about Nomi is that on his food container it says that if it under 39 degrees we should not feed him. Hmm. Guess Nomi does not have to eat while he lives in our home.

13 comments:

Mrs. P said...

Tell Anna to have fun cleaning all the fish poop out of the tank.
My sainted Igor was not a large fish but he manufactured enough poop to make a truck bomb!

GROSS!

tanyawells said...

What a tute lintle shibby!

NPE said...

heidi

It is Nomi,Not Tobi.

Another cat is all that you need!

Anonymous said...

Heidi, get off the crack. HEEHEE.

And Nathan, I think your story made me sound mean. If you told it correctly you would say, "Lydia was sitting on the counter (something she does out of the rebellion of not being able to do it as a child), and therefore, her garnormous body was blocking Nomi from the little eyes of Annie. Annie said, 'Where's Nomi?' Lydia said, 'I don't know. He went bye-bye.' Then Anna got a fearful look on her face and began to cry. Then Lydia moved her garnormous body and said, 'Peek-a-boo. There he is.' All was good."

Fish poop is no problem. You dump the water in the sink, clean the rocks and the bowl, and voila! all done. But, it sure do be stanky.

gretchenjohnson said...

Today in DBT training, we learned that you are supposed to put the fish in the tank in their bag so they can acclimate to the temperature. Nurse Darla leaned over and informed me that this must be why her fish died. She never knew you had to do that. Love that fishy, Remo

Wife, Mom, Teacher said...

Yes, and never put a pine log in the tank. I killed some cute tadpoles that way and I was just trying to give them something to climb. Ooops!

Anonymous said...

My fish are the 7 cent variety (I think they were on sale) and they are very pretty and have been alive almost 2 1/2 years(or at least alive with me.)
They love me, and I take them places with me in ziplock containers. Sometimes I forget them for weeks at a time (aka christmas break) and they still live. It's incredible!

Your fish looks almost as cute as mine. :-)

Mark said...

Just remember... if it ever dies, goldfish are easily replaced and kids aren't likely to notice. Not at that age, anyway.

Anonymous said...

Nathan,

Why don't you give an update on Nomi (pronounced Know-Me). ;P

Charles Jurries said...

I guess he DID have to eat in your house after all, eh?

gretchenjohnson said...

Is Nomi still alive???

NPE said...

Nomi has moved onto bigger waters. He lasted over 24 hours after he threw himself from the bowl.

We replaced his tank with a 5 gallon tank with a lid and water purifier as well as brought his two tank mates from the store to see if we could encourage him to carry on.

Anna and I prayed for him twice, "dear Jesus, make Nomi not sick...etc.etc."
The Lord did not see it fit to answer her prayer.

We now have two new fish (the tank mates): Nomi and Imon.
Nomi looks a lot like Nomi, but Imon is huge.

I hope that they last the 20 years that koi are supposed to last.

We will see. (No jumping out of this tank though!)

Anonymous said...

lyd,
Nates' story makes him sound mean and not you!! If this continues I suggest it's BACK TO WORK NATE!!! I was under the impression he was working on sermons! Clearly he's distracted with fish and hair!! OXOXOXOXOX Ellie