Monday, February 26, 2007

They Conspire Against Me...

I must say that today was a long day of classes at the seminary. We are having a special class called "Minister and His Family" in which we go through all the Greek exegesis on how a minister and his family are to behave themselves. Of course, all ministers fall short to some extent, but it is something that we are all called to nonetheless. The guest lecturer is Rev. David Lipsey who is finishing his doctorate in Nouthetic Counseling at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia. He is also the future father-in-law of Rev. Terry Klaver.

So I get home from class and take Sedgwick out for some afternoon business. I told Anna and Owen that they were not going out with me because I did not want them to get all wet in the midst of the snow storm. Of course I was using authority over my children since I just got back from 9 hours worth of lecture, one of which discussed the obedience of the minister's children.
Thank the Lord, they were obedient. They did not follow me out in the snow as is the normal routine.

Anna believed that I had delegated the authority over Owen in my absence. She thought that it would be wise to lock the door behind me so that Owen would be compelled to obey his father. I turn around, upon Sedgwick's completion, and turn the door handle to find that I am, yet again, locked out of my home! This time I was at the back door which is a beautiful French door with18 panes of glass. Owen waved at me and smiled, not realising that I was stuck outside in 35 mile-per-hour wind and pouring snow.

I knocked.

And knocked.

Anna finally came to the door, 'hi papa!' Anna please go get your mother. She said okay and I watched her go into the family room downstairs to get her.

A few minutes pass and Anna comes back up. I knock and say through the glass, 'Anna did you get your mother?' She said, 'Oh yeah!' She then ran back down stairs to get Lydia.

What an event. Was it last Saturday that Owen locked me out, now Anna? I will have to ask Rev. Lipsey how to deal with this type of problem according to the Scriptures!

Side Note: This is Anna's new favorite hat. It is a $1.00 item from Target's junk section. She insists on wearing it out of the house even. It is not my style. It is a mix of Anne of Green Gables and Southern Fundamentalism.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, was he saying that minister's children should in some way be expected to behave better than other Christian children in the church? I agree that a minister's children should be well behaved and set an example, etc., though have the normal expectations that other children have and others should realize that they are just as sinful and depraved as other children. Right?

As for a well-behaved family....I guess we have some work to do all around. ;)

NPE said...

Yep. Like Rev. Lanning said to me once, 'I do not expect my children to be perfect, just to take responsibility for their sin'.

As for the minister's kids being better behaved, nope, just behaved.

As for acting a certain way because their father is a minister- that is called hypocrisy. The Bible does speak a lot about that.

They are to have the same expectation as other Christian children. They sin and are dealt with- and sometimes their is a glimmer of spiritual hope. That is what I like!

Mark said...

Dude, just put a key under the mat or something. What a nasty day to be locked out.

As for PKs, well... the ones I've known are generally less well-behaved than most people. :)

Anonymous said...

The sad thing is, is that the "PKs" I have known in high school and in college claimed to be Christians, yet lived their lives right alongside me, doing the same things I would do, acting the same way I would. When I met Mrs. P, I was very suspicious and not expecting her to be much different. Yes, well, she proved me wrong. She not only spoke of her faith, but she actually attempted to live it out. And, she sadly, in my experience, is in the minority. I won't say what denomination these children generally are products of....2 in particular, if that has anything to do with it...

Anonymous said...

I'm watching anne of green gables tomorrow!

yay for anna.

Anonymous said...

I'm a PK

Anonymous said...

I'm a PK

Anonymous said...

I'm a PK

Anonymous said...

Haha, that's right. Gretchy is a PK. That explains everything!

Anonymous said...

I'm a PK, too.

Anonymous said...

This is not Gretchen, it's me, kevin...the aspberger's kid from Boston who doesn't make eye contact.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kevin. I see. Well, Gretchy still being a PK explains a lot...

;0)

Mrs. P said...

Yeah, Nate sounds like you'll have to invest in a doormat key. You could buy one of those fake poop key hiders from the Walter Drake catalog and keep it in a corner of the porch.

Nothing says class like fake poop on the porch.

Mrs. P said...

Re: Anna's favorite hat... next she'll be running around in denim skirts and Keds.

It'd figure that you of all people would wind up with kid who has a fundamentalist aesthetic.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually a PK too. I've never felt comfortable talking about it until now.
It's just such a relief to talk about it.
P.S. I'm not crazy.

Anonymous said...

Braaaaaaay! Brrrraaaaaaaay! Do you know what kind of sound that is? That's the sound a donkey makes and that's exactly the way I feel right now.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I find that last entry really offensive. I think it's clear that we've touched some sensitive nerves here. Maybe we should just take a step back before someone gets hurt.

It's true though--sad to say minister's children don't always live up to their family's expectations. Just imagine if there was a DD PK! I'd kill it!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys.

Anonymous said...

Whoa! It does sound like there's a right bit of hypocrisy round clergys' progeny. Glad I was born to the royal family instead.
Well, off to war.

gretchenjohnson said...

You can always tell the difference between when Kevin truly posts and when gretchy posts on behalf of him. Me am stoopid. Kevy be smart

Anonymous said...

Nate, you know what they say about paybacks. Love the hat. I'll have to go up in the attic!!!!

Anonymous said...

anna looks like hannah in those pictures!! she's adorable!

-dawn michelle-

Anonymous said...

Absolutely nothing wrong with denim skirts. I wear them with my cheapo tennis shoes OR pumps...so THERE.

Anonymous said...

I see that I have commented on the wrong post...that's what I get for even responding when my feelings were hurt! :)