While we talked, the children played with a variety of toys. Owen and Seth crawled around and grunted their needs towards their respective mothers, while Noah and Anna played rough...as they usually do. Noah bounced his face off of a pillar in the family room and they were each knocked down on more than one occasion. For some reason they think that playing like this is more enjoyable than nice play.
It is rare to see them sharing and working towards a common play goal unless it is "see who can want every toy first". Despite this style of play you can really see that they enjoy one another a lot as friends. Tonight we had about 45 minutes of really nice play out of them as a team. For some time they played with this German wooden toy that is really fun; they also read to each other for awhile. That was really cute.
Neither one of them know how to read yet but they both pointed and pretended as though they knew what was going on in the book. A make believe story line appeared as they both threw out words from their lexicons.
The book is Our Loving God written by a Scottish Presbyterian named Cairen MacKenzie. She writes really good children's books that are faithful to the text as well as theologically Reformed. (I think that the children are discussing the various aspects of the atonement here....maybe.)
They really do like each other a lot. Anna often will pretend play that Noah is here. She will walk around calling his name and say other funny things as though he were really present. Once last week she awoke and said "Noah?" She spent the next 20 minutes looking for him. She must have had a dream.
If you look closely at this picture you can see the various marks and bangs on their faces. Anna has a little mark on the nose and on the forehead. Noah has a scratch on the left cheek. (I encourage them to read more to one another and spend less time throwing dolls down the stairs....)
At the end of the evening they gave each other a hug before they left and Anna even kissed the scratch he got on his thumb. It is nice to have friends that you can read with as well as wrestle with. I think that more adult friendships should have these qualities.


10 comments:
Super Dooper Adorable scrumtralescent pictures! LOVE EM!
Just to fore warn you.......I don't go down easy, I will wrestle until I send my self into a myocardio infarction.
(Jedi's have super powers you know)
Look at Anna's little fingers as she holds that book. She must white nuckle it to ensure it remains where it lies!
i want to point out that I am actually practicing my yoga in that one picture
That was absolutely adorable!
Hey, where'd you get that book? I'd like to have one for use in the Sunday School some time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1857922948/qid=1136403080/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/002-0563940-4927267?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
I think this is the right one. I was thinking it sounded interesting, too. You can get it used for less than $2 (plus shipping, of course.)
http://www.heritagebooks.org/browse.asp?searchMode=author&searchString=mackenzie
The children are precious and your story telling abilities are exceptional.You have a very comforting way of presentation with just a hit of giggle, (or sarcasm). Nate your so sweet...... You have been blessed with many Gifts and I give God all the credit. O.K., maybe your parents get some credit too.See you soon for that wrestling match your longing for....
Ellie, your comment is my favorite.
Post a Comment